Saturday, January 14, 2012

A personal psalm

Usually, I don't like messing with scripture - often there are versions that seem to give a very different message than what I feel is the message - though maybe that version speaks better to some others.

But......

Recently, as homework in my Ignatian Spirituality class, we had to come up with a personal psalm - either by writing our own, or combining those that 'spoke' to us as we read the psalms.  I chose the latter course, and was amazed, not so much by the ones that 'touched' me, but by the way certain ones of those said 'use me' and even sometimes even suggested where they should be in relation to others that were self-selecting themselves for this project.  Enjoy.


Praise G-d in his holy place,
praise him in the heavenly vault of his power,
praise him for his mighty deeds,
praise him for all his greatness.

I will thank you, YHWH, with my whole heart,
I will recount all your wonders,
I will rejoice and delight in you,
I will sing to your name, Most High.

Bless YHWH, my soul, from the depth of my being, his holy name;
bless YHWH, my soul, never forget all his acts of kindness.
He forgives all your offenses, cures all your diseases,
he redeems your life from the abyss, crowns you with faithful love and tenderness.

Have mercy on me, O G-d, in your faithful love,
in your great tenderness wipe away my offenses;
wash me clean from my guilt, purify me from my sin.
Create in me a clean heart, renew within me a right spirit.

Unload your burden onto YHWH and he will sustain you;
never will he allow the upright to stumble
For YHWH is good, his faithful love is everlasting,
his constancy from age to age.

5 comments:

  1. Psalms 150:1-2; 9:1-2; 103:1-4; 51:1-2. 4; 55:22; 100:5 (NJB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering why you say G_d? I assume it's something spiritual but I don't understand why?
    I really like this new psalm, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a way of showing respect, and remembering that it is a sacred name - just like I used YHWH a little further down. You may also have noticed that many (most?) Bibles use LORD instead of Lord.

    This comes from the Hebrew tradition (or is it law?) that states the true name of G-d is so sacred that it is not to be pronounced, except by the High Priest, when he was in the Holy of Holies, in the presence of the Ark of the Covenant, on the Day of Atonement. So substitute names are used, Adonai, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m glad you explained that, I was wondering! This is a lovely new psalm. I like this idea of accreting pieces from pre-existing psalms. It reminds me of 'found poetry' which I also like a lot.
    cheers, L

    ReplyDelete