Sunday, December 2, 2012

An Ignatian Contemplation on the Baptism at the River Jordan


 

 

I’m not sure what drew me to the river that day, except that the urging was stronger than usual.  I had heard about the man, John,  who was there, baptizing people.  For some unknown reason I was curious.

There was quite a crowd at the river that day, all pushing and hurrying to get to the scene.  I, too, was getting anxious, as it would be getting dark soon.

As I pushed forward with the crowd, I suddenly felt a wave of calm come over me.  After a few moments, I realized that I was behind a man who was making his way steadily forward, untouched and unperturbed by the milling crowd.

In what seemed like no time, we came to a small, clear area in the river.  There was a man standing there, facing us, who I surmised to be the Baptizer, although the descriptions of his wildness that I had heard paled in comparison to the real thing.  This person seemed to be having a heated discussion with the man in front of me, although I couldn’t really make out the conversation.

Finally, they must have reached an agreement, for the Baptizer prepared to dunk this man into the water.  The next thing I remember, I’m sitting in the water.  There seemed to be this blinding light in front of me.  Somehow, I forced my eyes open, and I saw the man who had been in front of me, clothed in garments whiter and brighter than I had ever seen, even at the Temple.  As I struggled to stand, the man turned to face me.  I couldn’t make out his face, but that same feeling of calm washed over me again.

Suddenly, from above, there came a loud voice, like thunder.  ‘You are my son, in you I am well pleased.’  Now, in addition to being soaking wet, my ears were ringing.  As I looked at the man again, I realized that he was totally dry, yet I was sure that he was the one that the baptizer had dunked.  And now it seemed like it was only the two of us present.

Suddenly, I began to shake, from being soaking wet I presumed.  The man in white looked at me, and I felt a love deeper than I had ever felt before.  The man took his cloak off his shoulders and put it around mine, and the shaking stopped.  I looked up at him and heard him say ‘Blessed are you, for you have seen the light.’

The next thing I remember, I was stumbling towards the shore, through a mass of people milling about aimlessly and shouting at each other.  As I walked slowly back to town, all I heard people talking about what had happened.  ‘The baptizer was struck by lightning!’  ‘Surely he must have offended G-d!’  No one mentioned a man in white, or a loud voice.  Nothing.

As I sat at a table alone in the inn, eating my dinner, all around me the people were still buzzing about what had happened at the river.  But no one seemed to have seen what I saw.  Did I just dream that something different had happened?  I began to shiver again, and instinctively I pulled the cloak, the same one the man had placed over my shoulders at the river, around me.

Suddenly, I was back at the river.  But this time I was observing it from above, like a spectator.  Almost instantly, I realized that it was earlier that day, and then I spotted myself and the man, standing in front of the baptizer.  I watched as the baptizer dunked the man, and as the latter came up out of the water, there was a flash of light and a loud booming noise.  Everyone except the man was knocked backwards off their feet and into the water.  Then, amazingly no one moved except for me and the man.  The silence was total.  It wasn’t until I started walking towards the shore that everyone else started moving and talking loudly.

Then, just as suddenly, I was back in the inn where I had been sitting what felt like minutes ago.  Yet no one acted as if anything had happened – like I had been there all along.  I can only guess that somehow time had been slowed, or even stopped, twice.  But something must have happened, because I had this cloak that I hadn’t started the day with.

And sometimes, when I start to shiver and draw this cloak around me, my thoughts go back to my experiences at the river that strange day.

No comments:

Post a Comment